Re: [Vala] A suggestion for future releases

On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 07:58 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
Hi Jim,

On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 00:06 -0008, Jim Nelson wrote:
My broad point is, dot releases for stable versions of Vala can cause
large changes downstream. In the future, could these changes be more
geared toward critical fixes?

Yes, we're aware of that and we are typically more careful in stable
branches. The 0.22 branch was branched from master later than usual and
the changes you've mentioned above were pushed to master between 0.22.0
and the branch point. As we usually branch early, the committers likely
didn't realize that these changes would affect a stable branch.

Just one thing to remember, for future reference: git can create a
branch starting at any point in history directly. For example,

$ git branch 0.22 0.22.0
$ git checkout 0.22

(or equivalently, but shorter)
$ git checkout -b 0.22 0.22.0

would have created a new branch "0.22" which branches off from the
commit that was tagged with the "0.22.0" version, and won't include any
of the commits to master which were intended for 0.23.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin walton kepstin ca>