Re: [Vala] Plugable Code Generators

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Andrea Del Signore <sejerpz gmail com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> recently with these two commits [1], [2] support for the posix and
> dova profiles was removed from the vala compiler.

Hi again,

I've made some progress on this issue and I published my code here:

http://gitorious.org/ideas/vala-codegen-posix

Now that I reached a somewhat working implementation, I didn't do any
more tests apart from the included examples, I've a mixed feeling on
the patches required to implement this codegen plugin
On one hand I like the simplification that the removal made to the
compiler, but also I fear how now vala is bound with gobject in
significant part of the code that instead should be general enough.

In a previous mail Juerg asked me why implement a plugin system
instead of just forking the compiler.
Now I think that every fork should maintain a set of patches not only
to implement the codegen, but also to remove all the gobject-ism than
inevitably valac will include (see [1],[2]), so may be a dual profile,
GObject vs all the others, can be healthy for the whole compiler.

What's your opinion?

Regards,
Andrea

P.S.
That code was tested only on windows, since I don't have access to any
linux box ATM.

[1] http://gitorious.org/ideas/vala-codegen-posix/blobs/master/valac-patches/0002-Don-t-use-GLib-types-when-the-current-profile-is-not.patch
[2] http://gitorious.org/ideas/vala-codegen-posix/blobs/master/valac-patches/0003-Add-tests-for-unavailable-standard-types.patch