Re: [Utopia] [patch] Disable automounting when screen saver is running

On 11/15/06, David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> wrote:
One of our security dudes at Red Hat mentioned a possible attack vector.

When the screen saver is running, the user may not be around to keep an
eye on their machine. There are a number of security attacks with a
specially crafted filesystem that can happen since the automounter
effectively performs mount, which is a privileged command, and reads the
directory contents.

Are we going to hack around people, that have physical access to the
box and are able to add/remove hardware now? How about a corrupt
network card and NetworkManager? Should we disable NM, when the
screensaver is active too? Same problem with PTP cameras, and ...

I would say we should leave such "problems" to the proper
infrastructure with console activity tracking, instead of introducing
such weird hacks. :)

Kay