Re: [Utopia] Re: Gnome Volume Mgr ==> Gnome Hardware Mgr ??

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:20 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:17 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 10:55 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> > > I think that the change to gnome-hardware-manager is an issue of naming
> > > only, because we /already/ made the change technically: g-v-m now
> > > manages mice, keyboards, scanners, printers, and iPods, in addition to
> > > media and removable drives.
> >
> > This makes so much sense to me. Btw, this weekend at the GNOME Summit I
> > was talking to Kevin Otte of KDE Volume Manager fame about working on a
> > spec for the "Applications instead commands" thing mentioned here
> >
> >  http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=29
> >
> > It would be awesome to get rid of the commandline bits from g-v-m.
>
> Seriously.  We should have done this a year ago.
>
> Add a MIME type-like handler for "actions" such as "play music" and off
> we go.

Yea, at this point I'm not really attached to whether we are using MIME
types or something else - all I want is just a very simple and sweet
spec we can share with KDE, other desktops and ISV's [1]. Kevin and I
will work on this and propose it on xdg-list freedesktop org within a
few weeks.

How we go about implementing this in GNOME is another matter (ie. it
shouldn't be covered by the spec) - here's an interesting link about
Windows XP SP2

 http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/06/03/424802.aspx

Something like that might work if we can somehow make sure that no
program can register itself as the default. That is of course up to you,
Jeff and other g-h-m developers to decide :-)

Cheers,
David

[1] : e.g. a closed-source DVD player like PowerDVD would utilize this
spec to register itself as being able to playback video discs