Re: [Utopia] Re: Gnome Volume Mgr ==> Gnome Hardware Mgr ??

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 10:55 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> I think that the change to gnome-hardware-manager is an issue of naming
> only, because we /already/ made the change technically: g-v-m now
> manages mice, keyboards, scanners, printers, and iPods, in addition to
> media and removable drives.

This makes so much sense to me. Btw, this weekend at the GNOME Summit I
was talking to Kevin Otte of KDE Volume Manager fame about working on a
spec for the "Applications instead commands" thing mentioned here

 http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=29

It would be awesome to get rid of the commandline bits from g-v-m.

> I would be happy to add more.
>
> What reason is there, for example, to make gnome-power-manager separate?

Exactly. I think that one thing that most people fail to realize is that
a modern desktop stack today requires a lot of different packages from
different places. Packages such as the Linux kernel, udev, X.org, HAL,
GNOME, gnome-power-manager, gnome-screen-saver and so forth.

Add the version dependencies (GNOME 2.12 requires HAL > 0.5, HAL 0.5.3
requires udev >= 063 and kernel >= 2.6.13, gnome-power-manager 0.2
requires HAL > 0.5.4) and this is a hell. If you scan the mailing lists
you'll see lots of small distros not being able to catch up because
packaging all these bits are difficult. It requires the knowledge of the
developers of these things to set it up.

So instead of having 5000 lines of gnome-power-manager source code, why
not simply add a 500 line patch to gnome-hardware-manager that does
exactly this and no more?

Cheers,
David