Re: [Utopia] Device detection, and firmware request.

Richard Hughes (hughsient gmail com) said:
> I am hesitant to add this functionality to g-p-m as this is not a "core"
> power-management role, and I don't want to turn g-p-m into a
> "jack-of-all-trades" type daemon... but there is only 2 lines of code
> added to produce the screenshot attached -- all the libhal and libnotify
> type infrastructure in g-p-m can be already used for this.

Well, that just means the libhal and libnotify type infrastructure
shouldn't be solely in g-p-m.

Realistically, there should be some sort of system-level daemon
that handles this. Some potential issues to tackle:

- How to not warn excessively about a device for which no driver
  exists.
- How to catch events from coldplug that happen before HAL, etc.
  is started.
- How to handle actually finding and getting the firmware. (drivers
  are even uglier.)

Bill