[Utopia] Device detection, and firmware request.

Guys/Girls,

(first, sorry for the cross posting)

Further to a long conversation in #ubuntu-development, I've attached a
mockup with my thinking so far.

My thinking is we *do not* want a "GNOME detected you inserted a mouse"
type dialogue, but what I am suggesting is a dialogue that only prompts
the user if there is a problem (like firmware request, or external
module required) - it should "just work" for everything else.

I am hesitant to add this functionality to g-p-m as this is not a "core"
power-management role, and I don't want to turn g-p-m into a
"jack-of-all-trades" type daemon... but there is only 2 lines of code
added to produce the screenshot attached -- all the libhal and libnotify
type infrastructure in g-p-m can be already used for this.

I think having a whole session daemon that just sits and watches the hal
"NewCapability" event (and then does the tiniest amount of checking) is
a bit of a waste of memory and cpu, and wouldn't be picked up by
distros.

I wanted your opinions and ideas before I worked on anything
substantial.

Thanks,

Richard.