[Utopia] Re: Debian/Ubuntu bug fixes for gnome-volume-manager

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 18:05 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Jeffrey!
>
> First, thanks for giving g-v-m some love, it was badly needed. 1.3.2
> looks great!
>
> During the last year, Debian and Ubuntu accumulated many patches; in
> the beginning we tried to submit them upstream, but we never got much
> feedback. However, looking at your recent activity I hope that you
> might consider applying them upstream.
>
> So instead of letting them rot in Gnome's bugzilla further, I'll just
> wrap them up here:
>
> 01_fix_nonmountable_media.patch:
>   - Fix a regression of 1.3.2, it does not autoplay audio CDs any
>     more. Do not require that a device is mountable for exercising the
>     removable media policy.
>   - This seems highly important to get upstream.

not quite the right fix because it breaks ipods (sorta - in that it will
try to mount /dev/sda1 inside gvm_media_changed which will always fail)
which is the reason I added the mountable check to the if-statement in
hal_device_added(). However my fix is obviously wrong too :)

I've fixed this a different way and am about to commit it

> 03_kernel_hint.patch:
>   - If g-v-properties fails, tell the user that kernel 2.6 is
>     required.
>   - Purely cosmetical, but wouldn't hurt upstream.

sure, looks fine to me.

> 04_reconnect_on_dbus_exit.patch:
>   - Reconnect to dbus after restarting dbus and hal, instead of just
>     crashing.
>   - Important in package-based system when you want to continue to use
>     your Gnome session while doing a system upgrade.

concerned that this is the patch that is causing bugzilla to get flooded
with bug reports around dbus upgrades on ubuntu systems

> 05_mount_at_start.patch:
>   - Do not mount devices at g-v-m start if g-v-properties configured
>     to not mount devices automatically.

would have been nicer if the coding style matched gvm and also didn't
use c99/c++ declare-variables-on-use tactics but the logic seems ok.
I'll fix it up and commit it.

> 07_automount_enabled_hint.patch:
>   - Do not mount a device if storage.automount_enabled_hint == false
>     on the volume or drive.
>   - This is not really a bug fix, but rather an enhancement, see
>     http://mail.gnome.org/archives/utopia-list/2004-November/msg00003.html
>     and Gnome bug #155636.

+                       if (!gvm_get_automount_enabled_hint (udi))
+                           gvm_device_mount (udi, device, NULL);
+                       else
+                           dbg("%s has storage.automount_enabled_hint == false, not mounting\n", udi);
                        mounted_volumes_policy_queue = g_slist_append (mounted_volumes_policy_queue, g_strdup (udi));

I don't think we want to add the udi to the policy_queue if we don't
actually mount it.

Rob, can you confirm?

--
Jeffrey Stedfast