Re: [Utopia] Gnome Power Manager, updated screenshots

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 18:40 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 21:46 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > The "Put display to sleep" bits should probably be in gnome-
> > screensaver's capplet.
>
> I'm opposed to that; Perhaps we want to link to the dialogs much like
> the keyboard/mouse and a11y capplet does
>
>  Screen Saver Capplet:
>   +------------------------------------------+
>   |                                          |
>   |                                          |
>   |             +--------------------------+ |
>   |             | Configure Energy Saver.. | | # Probably choose better
>   |             +--------------------------+ | # words here
>   +------------------------------------------+
>
>  Energy Saver Capplet:
>   +------------------------------------------+
>   |                                          |
>   |                                          |
>   |              +-------------------------+ |
>   |              | Configure Screensaver.. | | # Probably choose better
>   |              +-------------------------+ | # words here
>   +------------------------------------------+
>
> How about that?

That's the way the mouse gets linked in for the accessibility options,
which seemed pretty obvious to me.

Good for me.

> > That'd be 4 less sliders in the dialogue.
>
> Assuming we skip the combo box which I think is a bad idea :-)

So summarising:

Pros for combo box (see attached ss-zeuthen...)
* a lot less space (and duplicated widgets..)
* Allows user to have selected the "profile" that is relevant at that
time - for immediate effect.

Pros for non-combo-box (see attached ss-nocera [1]...)
* allows to see the "other" option
* IMO looks nicer and fits in with the GUI (as options do not depend on
the combo)

Please, everyone vote :-)

Richard

[1] Imagine the numbers are actually strings like that of ss-zeuthen.

PNG image

PNG image