Re: [Utopia] Gnome Power Manager, updated screenshots

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:26:34PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:

> * Buttons that you don't have (e.g. suspend) don't show

This isn't ideal - a lot (and I mean a LOT) of hardware has hotkeys that
aren't exposed by ACPI. Acer[1] are especially bad for this. To be
honest, my preference is for:

1) Power button to bring up a menu offering logout, reboot and so on
2) Sleep button to sleep
3) Lid switch to be configurable

I don't think the first two really need configuration, especially if
you've got another UI element specifying the default sleep type.

> * The removal of the helper icons have made everything minimal - have I
> gone too far here?

I think it's a huge improvement.

> Please, comments. When I'm happy with the UI I'll start working on the
> real "guts" of G-P-M, and it'll start doing interesting things.

On laptops, I'd question whether it's worth offering configuration of
the suspend options on AC at all - they're massively uninteresting
compared to the battery settings.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org