Re: [Utopia] Autoconf

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 14:41, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> It looks like I need Autoconf 2.50 to compile D-BUS and HAL, is this
> correct? When I run autogen.sh I get a number if errors. I am using
> Autoconf 2.59.

Works for me with both autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.7.9 on debian, and
autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.8.4 on Fedora Core 2.

> Here is the output:
>
> ---
> jono tea:/sources/utopia/dbus/dbus$ ./autogen.sh
> I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
> to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
> You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
> `aclocal.m4'.
> aclocal
> aclocal: macro `AM_PATH_PYTHON' required but not defined
> aclocal: configure.in: 160: macro `AM_PROG_GCJ' not found in library
> aclocal: configure.in: 1042: macro `AM_PATH_PYTHON' not found in library
> autoheader: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in configure.in
> configure.in: 8: required file `./config.h.in' not found
> Makefile.am:34: variable `GLIB_PC' not defined
> Makefile.am:34: variable `MONO_PC' not defined
> Makefile.am:31: variable `GLIB_SUBDIR' not defined
> Makefile.am:31: variable `GCJ_SUBDIR' not defined
> Makefile.am:31: variable `MONO_SUBDIR' not defined
> Makefile.am:31: variable `QT_SUBDIR' not defined
> Makefile.am:31: variable `PYTHON_SUBDIR' not defined
> python/Makefile.am:13: invalid unused variable name:
> `nodist_dbus_bindings_la_SO URCES'
> bus/Makefile.am:28: warning: automake does not support conditional
> definition of  XML_SOURCES in BUS_SOURCES
> bus/Makefile.am:28: warning: automake does not support conditional
> definition of  XML_SOURCES in BUS_SOURCES
> bus/Makefile.am:25: invalid unused variable name: `XML_SOURCES'
> test/Makefile.am:6: variable `GLIB_SUBDIR' not defined
> test/glib/Makefile.am: test_profile_OBJECTS should not be defined
> ./configure: line 1333: syntax error near unexpected token `dbus,'
> ./configure: line 1333: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(dbus, 0.21)'
>
> Now type 'make' to compile dbus.
> jono tea:/sources/utopia/dbus/dbus$ make
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> jono tea:/sources/utopia/dbus/dbus$
> ---

It looks like you need to install a bunch of development packages.

> Also, when I install udev from unstable, I have difficulty loading my
> NVidia kernel module and starting X - can anyone point me to any
> documentation about this? There does'nt seem to be much.

Ah, ok you run Debian unstable.

So I just tried on my Debian unstable on my powerpc box to install the
packages. If you just 'apt-get install gnome-volume-manager' then it's
almost working (even the fstab-update.sh is installed; quite cool). IIRC
you still have to start gnome-volume-manager from a terminal or manually
add it to your session.

Regarding missing device nodes for NVIDIA, this is a known issue and
won't be fixed until NVIDIA export stuff to sysfs - only they can do,
cause only they got the source. Supposedly you can just mknod the device
nodes yourself; google for it.

Hope this helps,
David