Re: [Utopia] Gnome-VFS backend crashing file chooser dialog

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:01:19PM -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 16:08, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > The problem was that the hal patch filters some standard unix filesystems
> > mount points and doesn't report them to the vfs. Now the gnome-vfs
> > filechooser backend wants the volume for / (which is filtered) and assumes
> > there is one.  The fact that there isn't leads to a strcmp with a NULL
> > arguments eventually.
> >
> > Imho filtering out some paths isn't the right sollution, the user_visible
> > flag is ment for this.. So i've removed the filtering and let the
> > user_visible flag of drives depends on the hal removable flag. David put a
> > comment somewhere that the storage flag is unreliable, but it seems to work
> > fine here...
>
> Hmm, after looking over your patch in more detail, I don't think we only want
> to show removable drives.  We want to show all drives that are not standard
> Unix mounts. So any windows drives in /mnt or just a second storage drive
> would be fair game.  Attached is a modification of your patch.  It compiles
> fine but I have yet to check it.  Will check it in the morning.

What to show or not is a difficult issue. With filtering like this you have to
hardcode a list of mountpoints that you guess the user doesn't want to see.
Apart from the fact that i think hardcoding such lists is ugly, you just can't
make the guess. I can easily come up with 10 other examples that should be
filtered, so it's not the right direction imho. When going the filtering way, i
guess it makes more sense to ``whitelist'' /mnt and /media instead of creating
a ``blacklist'', but that can still be a problem for people using /cdrom,
/cdrecorder etc

The reason that i only showed removable drives is that i assumed all other
things are statically mounted anyway. So people can just make a link on their
desktop and/or a bookmark in the filechooser if they often use them. Non-mounted
removable storage is nice to have in ``Computer'', because then you don't have
to fallback to the command-line if you don't use an automounter..

Hmmm... After rereading what i just typed, i guess the best sollution is to
show stuff that is mounted in /mnt, /media or is removable..

Btw. I assumed that hotpluggable implies removable, but i'm not sure that's
always te case.

  Sjoerd
--
You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.