Re: [Utopia] kernel -> dbus event delivery?

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 10:34 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 13:12 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
> > does anybody know about the current state of the kernel<->dbus event-link?
> > Is there anything I can play with :) The only reference I could find, is
> > Arjan's patch:
> >   http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/linux-2.6.0-dbus.patch
> >
> > What is the glue between the kernels NETLINK_DBUS and the dbus-daemon?
>
> The work is a bit stagnate because I don't have overwhelming support
> from the community.

Hmm, the whole thing didn't reach the community by now, may be the
reason.

> Also, we have not found any huge needs for an
> asynchronous event system - processor over[h]eating, not withstanding.

Same thing, until we provide some working code, nobody will even think
about it and stick with the 20th century stuff :).
It was the same thing with udev - there were a lot of discussions about
it, but for one year nothing really happened. Just after we got some
code, that proved the concept, we got more attention.

> It will be nice to send up file system events so we don't have to pull
> mtab, et al, but that is an optimization and not a requirement.
>
> Oh, some IBM guys are super interested, as a mechanism to provide event
> logging from drivers.
>
> I will be talking at OLS on the event system and D-BUS, so hopefully I
> can attract some attention.

See you there :) But, what is the right way to connect to dbus? Another
daemon, or integrate it into dbus? Did you try something?

Thanks,
Kay