sketching a mountpoint naming scheme (was: [Utopia] Re: NTFS permissions are wrong using fstab-sync?)

> > PS: I would rather have them having the volume names like movies, music
> > or something else.
>
> You can always add your own entries and build hal with --enable-fstab-
> noop so it doesn't delete such entries [1]. Another interesting feature
> would be the ability to add stable mount point names.

Another option might be to use ID strings as this fstab update script:
http://ccomb.free.fr/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=UsbMassStorageEnglish

It does
- create a mount point with an explicit name corresponding to the real
  device (/media/IntelligentStick). Information is retrieved from /sys

- add the corresponding line in /etc/fstab

> However, I don't think both features matters much eventually; the UI
> shouldn't be exposing the mount point name and it should use the UDI as
> the stable reference to the media. But that's something for the
> future :-).

Are you also considering CLI or older ncurses apps as UI? I'd appreaceate nice
mountpoints that work system wide, depending less on desktop-level-only
abstraction.

----

Here is a preliminary idea for a mountpoint scheme, you'd know how fstab-sync
can relate to this:

(1)
Devices considered or subsequently defined as static, say those available
during installation (or boot?).

-- standard removable media devices -> /media/floppy (cd, dvdrw etc.)
   (type-names)

-- otherwise not mounted partitions -> /media/<volume name>

(2)
new devices (especially hotpluged):

-- removable media devices -> /media/<id string>-<type>

-- partitioned devices -> /media/<id string>/<volume name>

<id string> is the first available of model-name, vendor-name, "humanized"
                  bus id ("ide-drive-#" (i.e. a=1,c=3),  "usb-id-#" etc.)

<volume name> is the first available of volume-name, "humanized" partition id
                  ("partition-#")

<type> are things like "floppy", "cd", "dvdrw" "storage"(usb) etc.

----

The following from the previously posted current example seemed particular
disturbing to me ;-)

/dev/hda8               /media/idedisk
/dev/hda6               /media/idedisk1
/dev/hda1               /media/idedisk2

What is the second enumeration based on? What's its purpose?

Kind Regards,
Christian