Re: [Utopia] [patch] mount/unmount when starting/stopping

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 15:54 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> HAL propigates EjectPressed to GVM. GVM attempts to umount the drive,
> not lazy. If umount succeeds, device is ejected. If the umount fails,
> because the device is in use, GVM does not eject the device. Instead,
> broadcasts DevicePendingEject to DBUS (I just made this up). Nautilus
> receives this signal and closes it's browser window. The text editor of
> course can't.

The text editor should do *something* useful in this case.  If the file
is simply open in an editor window, nothing says the text editor can't
make sure it has the whole thing in memory (or cached to local disk) and
release any open file descriptors on the device.  Saving the file back
to the original media of course then is impossible, but that's no big
surprise; in many cases, the file won't be modified anyway, and if it
is, the user can either reinsert the media or just save the file
elsewhere.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.