Re: [Usability] How does GNOME 3 compare to Windows 8?

Le samedi 17 décembre 2011 à 09:14 +0100, Szabó Gergely a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I haven't used Windows8 (never intend to), but I've seen a long demo.
>
> They've fully retained the classic desktop experience for users who do actual
> work. Metro, on the other hand, is meant for smaller touchscreens.
> One can work with only one user interface at a time. Metro seems to be good
> at utilizing screen space.
>
> The two are represented by two disctint APIs, as well, and mobile devices
> will retain the Metro API only. This means that you write an application
> for either the desktop or Metro, but not both.
>
> Gnome3, on the other hand, has completely abandoned its traditional Linux
> desktop user and developer base (a certain Linus springs to the lips), aiming
> to be something for mobile devices.
>
> Not that Gnome3 is any good at it. At least Unity realized the importance of
> vertical screen real estate, and unified the panel, the title bar and the menu
> bar. Whereas on Gnome3 all three eat up a lot of space.
>
> On the technical level, Windows8 is taking over a lot ideas from the last 40
> years of Unix, while Gnome3 seems to be abandoning the traditional Unix
> values. Configuration in binary blobs for instance.
>
> Best regards
> SZABÓ Gergely
>
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 06:47:51PM -0600, Brian Cameron wrote:
> >
> > I am curious if anybody has had any thoughts about how GNOME 3 compares
> > to Windows 8.  Sorry if this has been blogged about and I missed it.  I
> > believe Windows 8 is available in beta.  I heard it is faster than
> > earlier versions of Windows.

- Windows 8 choose to mix two unrelated interfaces (metro and
traditional desktop) when gnome 3 tried to adapt traditional desktop and
apps.

- Everything is moving on metro apps view. It looks like a commercial.
In gnome, you can have a rest on an empty workspace.

- Gnome 3 eats now vertical place, but :
  - menu in top bar doesn't leave many place on top bar for more useful
things.
  - It's disconnected to what it acts on (the window)
  - new apps don't use menu.
  - Gnome 3.4 is likely to reduce a lot vertical place with the
evolution of the window states.