Re: [Usability] Touchscreen and gestures

Am Mittwoch, 27. April 2011, 19:30:34 schrieb Calum Benson:
> ...Of course we'd like to minimise the
> number of things that you have to do differently for touch screens, but
> experience with other platforms suggests that sometimes you just have to
> do things a different way on different devices if you want the optimum
> user experience.
>
> Cheeri,
> Calum.

I disagree with the idea of coevolution. If touch input is captured reliable
(which I doubt) it still lacks of precision. Beside of all more design related
issues (size, position, feedback etc.) some core functions are hardly to
realize. For instance, I cannot imagine how to resize a window, or how to
place a cursor on a certain position, not to mention tooltips, drag 'n drop
and so on. Additionally, more clicks are needed to start a program without
menus (as with the new Shell concept or Unity). As far as I see, conventional
operations are "translated" into a new world currently. Functions get a
gestural analogy and some design adoptions.
I'd like to suggest a split. On a desktop PC with keyboard and mouse we have
sophisticated procedures that should be kept. On a device without these inputs
functionality should be changed completely. I don't have a final solution yet,
unfortunately, but there seems to be much potential. A window could be always
maximized and any subwindow or frame has to be applied as overlay, drag 'n
drop could be replaced partially by "select and point" (as example for the
easy part). My idea is not to have up to 40 gestures (like Microsoft) but to
reduce functionality. Or do I worry too much?

Kind regards,
Heiko.
--

Dr. Heiko Tietze
Senior-Consultant

Wir binden Anwender in Entwicklungsprozesse ein.

Apliki
Psychologische IT-Beratung
Tempelhofer Ufer 1a
10961 Berlin

Fon +49 · 30 · 99277999 · 0
Fax +49 · 30 · 99277999 · 9
Mob +49 · 179 · 1268509
Mail heiko tietze apliki de
Netz www.apliki.de
Apliki GmbH & Co. KG, Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, HRA 39114

Persönlich haftend:
Apliki Beteiligungs GmbH, Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, HRB 104921
vertreten durch: Steffen Eßers, Björn Balazs