Re: [Usability] [Ayatana] The Future of Window Borders, Menu Bars, and More

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 15:46, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt canonical com> wrote:
>            People know what a web browser is.

By far, most of them do not.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ>
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEt0N3xu0Do>
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH5ZIXItkS8>

>                                               The menu doesn't control
> the page, but rather the application that renders a page. For
> OpenOffice.org, the menu wouldn't say "editing my resume" or "designing
> a website" or "putting numbers of some sort into a table", would it?
> No, because that's things that people use OOo for and they know that
> it's all the same program; same with Firefox.

If you have a document open in Microsoft Word and a spreadsheet open in
Microsoft Excel, and you choose "Quit" from Excel's application menu on
the Mac (or "Exit" from its Office button on Windows), the spreadsheet
will close. But if you had the same document open in OpenOffice.org
Writer, and the same spreadsheet open in OpenOffice.org Calc, and you
chose "Quit" from OpenOffice.org's app menu in Gnome Shell, the
spreadsheet would close, and -- surprise! -- the document would close too.

Thank you!
That's why we want to move the desktop to human language.
Words like "application", "service" or "process" have nothing to do with writing a letter, watching a movie or listening to music.