Re: [Usability] country flag icons in the UI

On 11/30/2010 01:27 PM, Stefan Kost wrote:
hi,

I have seen that some applications use icons of flags to indicate
countries (e.g. the deluge torrent client uses that to indicate the
origin or a peer). I was wondering if that is something that would be
encouraged or discencougaraged. If encouraged those flags could become
part of the icon theme (so that we would not need separate packages such
as famfamfam-flag-png under ubuntu).
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-November/msg00267.html
The issue is that flags means nations, and what nation an area belongs to is not always in agreement between everyone.
Some guidelines regarding pitfalls when to use them and when not might
be helpful too. I am writing a small toy to analyse media content I was
considering to use flag icons to indicate the content languages (per
stream/subtitle).
To bring up an example from my own country (and the situation is very uncomplicated here compared to other areas of the world): Swedish is not only spoken i Sweden, but also by some people in Finland as their first language. At the same time, the Sami people in the very north of Sweden speak Sami [1]. That would make using the Swedish flag for swedish a somewhat proper as an indicator for content language. Maybe just having it say the name of the language would be better in that case.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages
- Andreas