Re: [Usability] User Experience Advocates

On 21/05/10 18:37, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Felipe Erias Morandeira
> <femorandeira igalia com> wrote:
>> I wonder if it would be possible to get interaction designers involved
>> *before* the application has been written.
>
> Most of open source software is in the maintenance phase and does not
> have the luxury of a full redesign from the very beginning of the
> process. Sometimes you will get projects that are interested in
> reengineering bits and pieces of an application, but you are still
> constrained by the parts that will not change.

That is my point. Design has to be done before coding begins, not during
the maintenance phase. In most of open source software, designers are
being called in after the implementation has been done and there is
little that they can contribute. This is not only a problem for the
designers, but for everyone that intends to use those applications.

I know that most big projects are in the maintenance phase so it might
be too late for them. However, new projects are being started every
year. I wonder if there could be a way to get designers and developers
together before the actual coding begins, not after it is (almost) finished.

Felipe