Re: [Usability] "Save?" dialogs should be more consistent across apps

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 00:58 -0400, Philip Ganchev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed that different Gnome apps have quite different dialog
> windows for prompting the user to save the current document before
> closing the window. For example:
>
> == Abiword==
> Save the changes to document Untitled1 before closing?
> Your changes will be lost if you don't save them.
> [Close _Without Saving]  [_Cancel]  [_Save]
>
> == Gedit ==
> Save changes to document "Unsaved Document 1" before closing?
> If you don't save, changes from the last 11 minutes will be permanently lost.
> [Close _without Saving]  [_Cancel]  [Save _As]
>
> == gThumb ==
> The current image has been modified, do you want to save it?
> [ ] _Do not display this message again
> [Do _Not Save]  [Save _As]
>
> (Notice also capitalization differences.)

As for the capitalization difference, it should be "Close Without
Saving". Different style guides will give different answers about
how many letters is enough to capitalize a preposition, but I've
never seen one that says a seven-letter preposition should be
lowercase.

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/