Re: [Usability] Deja Dup UI Review

> >  * The configuration window - cramming everything into a single window
> > creates a few issues. Visually, it's inelegant. In usability terms, it
> > means that there's a lot for a user to process at once. I'd recommend
> > splitting the options up into tabs. My mockups [1] demonstrate how this
> > could be done. Have you considered them?
>
> Yes, if we were to go with tabs, I like how you broke it up.  I have
> been pretty resistant to tabs, because I felt like they would make the
> user feel like they were "configuring" their backup (versus just
> "making" a backup) and that hidden knobs on some other tab might be
> super important.

Users will typically use the wizard to initially set things up, not the
preferences dialog. That should guide them through the process of
providing all the necessary information.

> A backup program is different than, say, a chat program in that if you
> open chat preferences, you can browse as you like and maybe click some
> stuff but no big deal if you don't change anything (because they
> really are 'preferences' that can just be deviated from the default).
> But if you open these backup preferences, you kind of have to check
> every tab to make sure nothing is different from what you expect, or
> data loss may result.

Why would a user have to review all the configuration options? This
dialog would only be used to change specific options: adding a new
folder to be backed up, or changing the details of the backup
destination, for example.

> I've tried to make the defaults as no-change-needed as much as
> possible, but the user is still likely to want to review what the
> default is at least.

Again, they will use the wizard to set things up, won't they?

There are a few other advantages to the tabbed approach that I didn't
mention before, BTW: it allows the include and exclude lists to have an
adequate amount of space, and it allows you to use drag and drop to add
items to them.

> I'm very sympathetic to the size of the dialog being a wart.  And if I
> try to add any more preferences, we're in real trouble.  But my gut
> reaction to tabs is not positive.  I feel like all the settings should
> be on one page.  How do other people feel about it?

I'd also like to hear other opinions on this (current screenshots are
here [1], proposed mockups are here [2]).

> What about presenting the backup settings and letting you "inline
> edit" or use a small popup to change them?  Think of ajax vs forms on
> the web.  Kind of like your proposed changes to the main window to
> include backup info, but with 'edit' buttons or something.  Maybe we
> could do away with the preferences dialog then.

I don't think it's a good idea to display configuration options in the
main window - it would make it too complex. Ideally, the main window
should be pretty clean and simple and should contain only relevant
information.

> >  * I'd also recommend reevaluating the name and icon: neither
> > communicate the app's functionality particularly well.
>
> Heh, fair point.  The name is a bit of a play on words, but it doesn't
> convey too much.  But so many obvious and not-so-obvious backup
> program names have already been taken.  I don't think the icon is so
> bad, but I am open to other designs.  I'm open to suggestions on both
> fronts.

Why not request the Art Team make you an icon [3]? You could also speak
to marketing [4] for name ideas.

Allan

[1] http://live.gnome.org/DejaDup/Screenshots
[2] http://live.gnome.org/DejaDup/Design/Profiles#Design_C