Re: [Usability] Single-click mode for all Gnome apps

On 14 May 2010, at 10:16, David Colven wrote:

> Why is it not possible to have 'single click where you normally double
> click' as a setting as in Windows etc?  It does mean that hyperlinks or
> desktop icon cannot be highlighted, but to rename icons for example one
> would have to employ a right click menu.

I'm sure it would be possible... however, it would most likely require changes in several gtk+ widgets, and in many GNOME applications both to ensure all functions were still available in single-click mode, and to work around any other side-effects it might cause.  So I'd imagine it's not a trivial piece of work.

That said, now is probably as good a time as any to get it on the GNOME 3.x agenda.  You might get more useful feedback on the feasibility of the work involved by raising it directly with the gtk developers over on gtk-devel-list gnome org

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation, Ireland
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.