Re: [Usability] GTK+ at the UX Hackfest

Frankly Thomas has given the best opinion on this. The idea behind the widget set should be to provide the MINIMAL REQUIRED functionality to address the mundane job of programming you own interface. HOWEVER, IMHO, if you want the library to do everything for you, then it will become bloated (frankly I'm already loosing track off all the the new widgets). I'm sure if you ask around especially in this list, you can drum up thousands of widget requests (where individual programmers will want specif widget most of which will be only STYLISTICALLY different).

Whatever the theme engine can not handle, you can certainly override the expose event, motion / button press events to create your own derived widget.

IE. Use a button box, override methods with your own specific methods. You can use the same process of adding and deleting buttons, etc.... but draw them yourself in the exact way you want.

i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me