C.
Thanks,
Calum.

On 6 Nov 2009, at 21:00, Stormy Peters wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paula Bach <pbach illinois edu>
Date: Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Subject: FLOSS and usability workshop at CHI 2010
To: stormy gnome org

Hi Stormy,

I thought you'd like to know about this workshop I am organizing with a
colleague who also does research with open source and usability. Please
forward the call to people in the GNOME community who might be interested.

Thanks,
Paula

                      ACM CHI 2010 Workshop on
               Free/Libre/Open Source Software and HCI

                    April 11, 2010, Atlanta, GA, USA

                  Submission deadline: December 14, 2009
                        http://flosshci.org

In the past 10 years, Free/Libre/Open Source Software (FLOSS) has become a
ubiquitous and vital force in business, education, government, and research.
This vibrant new community of software developers creates new opportunities
and challenges for HCI that are only beginning to be explored and
understood.

This workshop will:
* identify key differences between FLOSS environments and closed source
software production with respect to culture, practices, and motivations for
HCI,
* examine how these differences can (or should) impact the design of tools
and practices for usability/UX in FLOSS development, and
* explore the development of new theoretical approaches, tools, and
practices for HCI in the FLOSS community.

An important, overarching goal of the workshop is to bring the two
communities together to explore collaboration opportunities. As such, the
workshop invites practitioners and researchers in both the CHI and FLOSS
communities.

Interested individuals should submit one of the following in a two-page
conference publication format:

* A case study describing experiences in introducing and/or practicing
usability/UX in a FLOSS development context
* A summary of research conducted in the FLOSS community related to the
workshop’s theme (for example, understanding motivations of designers in
FLOSS, mapping design conversations, design tools and methods used in FLOSS,
etc.)

Submissions should use the HCI Archive Format template found here:
http://www.chi2010.org/authors/format.html#archiveformat

Deadline for submissions is December 14, 2009. Submissions should be emailed
to flosshci gmail com