Re: [Usability] On Ctrl+tab

Op woensdag 13-01-2010 om 11:27 uur [tijdzone -0800], schreef Sandy
Armstrong:

> > This case seems excessive to me. If you've one hand on your mouse, use
> > the mouse to change tab, clicking or using the scroll wheel :P
>
> And yet, I was about to respond identically to you before I saw that
> Dan beat me to it.  I believe that right hand on mouse, left hand on
> keyboard is extremely common.  Consider selecting text and
> copy/pasting, or using ctrl+tab to change tabs, with the mouse in the
> content area so you can scroll, select text, etc.
>
> So while I don't have any data outside my own usage and intuition, I
> really don't think it's excessive, as you say.

I have to agree with Luca. GTK+ applications switch tabs with the mouse
scroll wheel, which is probably the fastest way if you have your right
hand on the mouse anyway.

I _do_ support a possibility to reprogram the tab switching keycombo's
though. If only for people who use a left handed mouse, weird laptop
keyboard, etc.

> I think that's a bit limiting, but even if we were to accept it as
> true, we can still say that on a full keyboard, ctrl+page up/down
> requires you to shift your right-hand considerably away from home row,
> making it fairly inconvenient.

Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn to switch tabs is hard wired in my head so I may be
biased, but based on my own experience it's not inconvenient at all.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen