Re: [Usability] GNOME 3 Usability Hackfest

Hello Brian,

What we will be presenting at the Hackfest.

The context:
I am about to start an experimental co-design research on "developer-centered communication" of usability results. What it means concretely is that, following some usability research on Empathy with end users, I will be observing how developers use usability report and where are the pitfalls of this communication. Then, we will collaboratively begin a reflection on how to redesign the presentation of this material to fit this group of developers' interest, work processes and needs. The session: I hope that some of the developers will join us for our session at Canonical. We will present the usability findings and brainstorm with the group new structures for reporting on usability in the specific contexts of the usability practitioner's and the developer's work.

The outcome:
A clearer understanding of developers' needs and context of work and of how 'developer-centric reporting' could foster usability adoption. We might even create a rough or maybe not so rough outline of a possible reporting mechanism.

It would be great if others could also bring some of their reports or findings and we could see how those could also be communicated. It would certainly make our outcome more robust.

See you in London!

C.

Brian Cameron wrote:

After doing some research, I have gotten some lodging recommendations
for the hackfest and you can find details on the GNOME 3 Usability
Wiki:

  http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityProject/London2010

The Wiki still needs some love, though.  It would be nice if people
could add more useful information.  For example, it would be nice if
we could find a volunteer to develop a logo or banner image for the
event and Wiki page.  Considering the number of graphic design
artists on this list, I'd think it should be easy to find someone to
help.

Looking at the Wiki, there are now 12 people who have signed up to
attend, so it is looking like it will be a good sized event.  I also
know there are a few other people who likely will attend who haven't
yet added their name, so there may be as many as 20 people.

I have pinged the travel committee and nobody has yet sent in a travel
subsidy form for this event.  If you are needing assistance with travel
costs, please submit a form sooner than later so that the GNOME Travel
Committee can work out the costs.

I am a little disappointed that there has not been more discussion on
this list to plan for the event.  I think the Wiki does a good job of
highlighting the various things that the GNOME Usability team can
focus on during the hackfest, but many of them would benefit from some
discussion and preparation.  With GNOME 3.0 coming and a weeks worth
of time to spend together, I would think there should be more to
discuss.

I would appreciate it if everybody who is planning on attending the
GNOME 3 Usability Hackfest could speak up and share their ideas of what
we should focus on while together, and what things each person plans to
bring to the event or work on.

Perhaps this could evolve into an agenda.  Rather than spending the
first day of the event brainstorming and putting sticky notes on a
whiteboard, perhaps we could work this out beforehand and use our
face-to-face time more wisely.

Brian

*CHARLINE POIRIER*
*User Research Programme Lead*