Re: [Usability] New Paradigm of Computing for GNOME 3.0

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 14:58 +0100, Diego Moya wrote:

>  - they still program using the interaction techniques of the late 70s
> (main application event loops, event-based triggering of subroutines,
> and throwing everything into a single application window with separate
> function points - all (mis)organized into lots of submenus.

I thought event loops belong to software architecture, not "interaction
techniques". Anyway, what would be more modern approaches?

> All private companies have that underlying goal. That is not
> incompatible with providing what the intended users need. I think
> Apple got it right in focusing on users with little computing
> experience/needs.

> The suggested solution (self-contained apps) is just one viable format
> for this, currently popular because of the success of the iPhone. As
> you say, this is not good for all users (only the majority of them) -
> so different solutions will evolve for the kind of users left behind.

I suspect that emphasizing applications has quite a lot to do with
pushing sell-able entities.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: