Re: [Usability] Deja Dup UI Review

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 20:13 -0400, Michael Terry wrote:

> http://live.gnome.org/DejaDup/Mission

> http://live.gnome.org/DejaDup/Screenshots

> Above and beyond a review of how the current UI could be
> improved/redesigned, I'd like thoughts on a feature request I keep
> getting.  Basically, people want backup profiles (being able to backup
> potentially different data to different locations on different
> schedules).  I've been struggling with how to offer such functionality
> without making the UI much busier/complicated and would love
> suggestions.

This is bound to be in conflict with "Even the smallest barrier can be
too much for a casual user.".

If it was a simple back-up-now without scheduling, profiles could be
created implicitly. But with scheduling, creating profiles must be
explicit. There has to be Delete and there should likely be Disable.

If I had several backup profiles scheduled, I would want to have an
overview of their scheduling rules and when they will run next. I think
this calls for a table with columns for at least Schedule and Profile
Name. Other column candidates would be []Enable, Configure and Delete.
Theoretically, you could put all the stuff directly into the table. Of
course you could use a detail pane, but then you need item selection.
How very far from just 2 buttons.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: