Re: [Usability] Requesting a right-click root menu for GNOME 3

On 2 Oct 2009, at 14:48, Karoliina Salminen wrote:

Hi,

The reason why I pointed out the right click as problematic is the following:
- what if you have single button mouse (Macs have single button mouse
by default)

And yet, Macs have also had right-click menus for many years :)

- what if you have a touch screen (like Asus eeTop or whatever it was called),
the release cycle of Gnome has been very slow and the touch screens
will be norm before
3.0 is most likely even done. There is no right click on touch screen.
- what if the screen is multi-touch screen? I guess the Asus uses
resistive touch screen, but sooner or later
these will have capacitive screens. That means how we use computer
changes quite radically and
we get rid of the mouse-keyboard combination pretty much.

Right-click menus are supposed to be shortcuts to functionality that you can already access in some other way. Assuming that doesn't change, none of these issues are particularly problematic. If there's no way to physically access a right-click menu on a particular device, then it will just never be seen, and users will just have to use the primary point of access instead (which will, one would hope, have been somewhat optimized for that device anyway).

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team