Re: [Usability] HIG: Fixing the sort arrow direction guideline

On 17 May 2009, at 04:46, Braden McDaniel wrote:

GNOME's guideline for the sort direction indicator arrow is opposite the
prevailing convention on other popular platforms (Windows and Mac) and
many prominent Web sites (e.g., Yahoo! Mail, Google Docs). Furthermore,
the current recommendation in the HIG uses some vague language that's
too open to interpretation (specifically, a poorly defined notion of a
"natural order").

If you have a better word than "natural", feel free to add it to the bug report you already opened. It was just the most concise way we could think of to say "alphabetical for words, ascending for numbers, chronological for dates, and whatever order might be applicable for lists that don't fall into any of those categories, like the checkbox column in a checkbox list, or the bug status column in a bug list".

Fixing this is long overdue; it would be very nice if it could finally
happen for GNOME 3.0.  If the will to do this is present, I'll be glad
to propose new language for the HIG.

FWIW, when we wrote the guidelines, we did a straw poll specifically asking people which direction they thought represented 'increasing', and the majority said a downward pointing arrow, because that's the direction in which they read the list.

Personally, I'd be surprised if the vast majority of people ever noticed or cared which way the arrow was facing-- most people said they looked at the list itself for confirmation of the sort order, not the arrow. But if it closes a bug, I'm happy to fix it the next time we're updating the HIG.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team