Re: [Usability] capitalization question for gnu solfege

On 3 Jun 2009, at 20:32, Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:

Do I understand it correctly that "Header capitalization" and
"Sentence capitalization" as described in the HIG look "normal" to
(american) english speaking people, so that using "Sentence
capitalization" on a command button will look bad? Or at least that
"Header capitalization" looks more professional or correct in some
way?

The latter, really. Using sentence capitalization on a command button won't make it any harder to use or understand in any way, but it will look a little odd -- it's just a convention that has existed on pretty much every desktop GUI I've used for the past 20 years.

I have uploaded 3 screenshots to http://tcamundsen.net.

dump-1 and dump-2: Should the bold face headings be "Header
capitalization"? What about the links?

The bold face headings are really acting as group/frame labels, which the HIG says should have header capitalization.

The HIG says that "Webpage titles and navigational elements" should also be header capitalization. However, embedding hyperlinks in dialog boxes wasn't really common when the HIG was written, so in this case I would say "use whatever capitalization style is used in the title of the page or window that you're linking to". (In much the same way that a menu item's capitalization should normally match the title of the dialog box it opens.)

dump-3, is the following correct?
* window manager frame: change to "Solfege - Fourths and Fifths"
* change heading to "Identify the Interval"
* change the buttons to "New Interval" and "Give Up"

Yes, that would be correct.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team