Re: [Usability] Icons in panel menu bar

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

When the panel was changed to kept some icons when the menu icons are
hidden, all icons in the panel menu bar were kept. A new change just got
committed to only keep icons for application menu items, place menu
items and preference menu items. Or if you prefer, icons for categories,
"Connect to server", "Search files", "Recent documents", "Help", "About
GNOME", "Lock", "Log out", "Shut down" were removed.

I'm not convinced by this change: some part probably makes sense, but
something "feels" wrong to me. Maybe it's because I expect the panel
menu bar to be a bit different.

It could also be because by default, you get three menus (Applications /
Places / System), and only Places has some icons (and quite a few of
them) while the two others don't if you don't open a submenu. Maybe it
kind of breaks a visual balance for me...

So, yeah, I'd just like to get feedback to know if it's right or not, if
it needs to be updated slightly, etc.

Thanks,

Vincent

Vincent,

I dont know if its just me but on my ubuntu jaunty i get no icons on the menu itself (if i disabled icons) and
with icons enabled, i get them on all menus. Am im misunderstanding you?

Cheers,
Rômulo.