Re: [Usability] New menubars Idea -- still considered or not?

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

On 21 Jul 2009, at 08:55, Antonio wrote:

I want to ask if the new menubars idea I proposed is still of interest
or it is rejected if so why?

Well, nobody here really has the power to accept or reject any ideas, we can just comment on them and help people improve them as best we can :)

Personally, I do still find it quite hard to envisage exactly how your ideas will work, just from static screenshots and text descriptions.  So it might help if you could put together some kind of storyboard, animation or interactive mockup (e.g. in DHTML), or find somebody who can do that for you, to help us a bit more.

For something that fundamentally changes such a long-established part of the desktop, I also suspect it would take a lot of cycles of usability testing and refinement to get it right -- consider the amount of usability resources, thought and effort that was put into the ribbons feature of Microsoft Office 2007 and subsequent MS apps, for example, which targets a similar sort of area to your proposal...

<http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/pages/table-of-contents.aspx>

Ok you are right. I thought about such kind of think but I never had the time or the knowledge to achieve it. I will try to make a video demonstration of the effects and the usability advantages of this new method. It might take a while as I will have to learn compositing with blender but when I'm ready the m-list will know  ;)

--
A.K.