Re: [Usability] Gnome usability question regarding preference dialog

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:04:14 +0100
From: Andreas Nilsson <nisses mail home se>
Subject: Re: [Usability] Gnome usability question regarding preference
       dialog
To: andy ninjagod com
Cc: usability gnome org

Anirudh Sanjeev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing an application targeted towards gnome users. I've noticed
> most of the preference windows have only a "close" button. Often, an
> accidentally changed setting cannot be reverted unless you know the
> older setting.
>
> While this seems counter intuitive for me, I just wanted to know why
> such a system is in place, as I'm sure there's a pretty good reason.
> While this paradigm saves the trouble of clicking "apply", the danger
> lurking in a preference dialog is always a little worrisome.
>
> Thanks, and have a good day,
> Anirudh

Hi Anirudh!
I'm not sure how a Apply-button would help you more than instant-apply
in that situation.
With instant apply:
1. Click a checkbox.
2. See the change happen.
3. Figure out that "oh, wait, I don't want that".
4. Click the checkbox again to unselect the option.
5. Close the window.

Without instant apply:
1, Click a checkbox.
2. Press the apply button.
3. See the change happen.
4. Figure out that "oh, wait, I don't want that".
5. Click the checkbox again to unselect the option.
6. Press the apply button.
7. Close the window.

I suspect it would be even more tricky using a apply button, as you can
change 4-5 things, and then press apply, without being certain what
control did what change to your system.
It would be kind of cool if ctrl+z worked in the preferences dialogs
though (without any needed change to the UI).
- Andreas

You have a valid point here regarding the instant apply - the possibility to review in time what will be affected by the changes made in the dialog.

When you can't use instant apply, you can provide a "Defaults" button to avoid the user getting confused in case of changing too many preferences. Also, the Preferences dialog should not contain options that can make the application use wrong behaviour, this way it's safe for the user to try all the options without fear of not being able to get back to a working state.