Re: [Usability] Tabs consistency in gnome applications

Please see the below email from the GNOME Shell list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr>
Date: Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: #4 on ToDo list: make the top panel prettier
To: Colin Walters <walters verbum org>
Cc: Gnome List <gnome-shell-list gnome org>

Le lundi 19 janvier 2009 à 16:40 -0500, Colin Walters a écrit :
> 2009/1/19 Brian Fleeger <brianfleeger yahoo com>:
>
> > Regarding Gnome's poor use of vertical space, a lot could be saved if Gnome
> > used the following pattern instead:
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/26671354 N05/3210742468/sizes/l/in/photostream/
>
> That's quite interesting and looks compelling.  The global menu though
> is a radical shift, one that as I understand it would require
> modifications of most applications.  Now, one advantage Free Software
> has over our competitors is that we *can* modify major applications;
> but at the same time, avoiding backwards incompatible changes is very
> important.
Did you miss the part about gnome-globalmenu?

Brian Fleeger wrote:
> There is already a Global Menu Bar for Gnome which hase reached the
> 0.7 stage of development: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/
> It is stable and compatible with most of the apps I use now (firefox
> and OO.o being two very big exceptions).
It works as a GTK module that redirects GtkMenuBar to their widget, I
think using D-Bus. Looks like it works with most real GTK+ applications
without flaws - that's where we see how a toolkit is flexible or not.
The problem is (as usual) with OpenOffice.org and Firefox but they can
be adapted (Firefox devs sounded quite open to that if GNOME wanted it).

Since this feature can be enabled quite easily, I find it very
interesting to have, even as an option. For now, the top panel is
actually quite empty...

Cheers