Re: [Usability] Tab implementation review

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Kalle Vahlman <kalle vahlman gmail com> wrote:
2009/2/12 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi gmail com>:
> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 15:31 +0200, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
>> I just don't belive tabs *can* be streched that far with worthwhile
>> results, and thus I think it would be wiser to direct effort to fix
>> the WM...
>
> So, in my way of using stuff, I prefer to have as few windows as
> possible open.  I don't want to ever have to switch windows.  I switch
> desktops to switch tasks, and each desktop has 1 open maximized window
> containing the task.  So I have 1 Firefox window with 20 tabs.  I use
> the Terminator terminal emulator (based on gnome-terminal) because with
> the panes and tabs I can get all of my terminals into one window.  I
> consider switching windows a waste of time, so streamlining a whole
> bunch into one windows via tabs and panes is a good thing to me.

Well, to me it sounds like you'd be better of with a window manager like Ion:

 http://www.modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/

It's just a matter of where to solve the problem. I believe it would
be better to solve it in the window manager so that each application
wouldn't have to :)
How about exposing an application's tabs to the window manager?  For now, the window manager will tell the application to handle the tabs itself, but we would leave room for future tab implementations in the window manager.

It gets even worse when you start thinking cross-toolkit too :/

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi