Re: [Usability] Unlock buttons

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 13:17 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> Surely the Manage Groups button should be disabled if the unlock button
> hasn't been pressed?

I think there is a value in letting people go as far as they can go
without having to unlock, just so they have some idea on what to expect
after they unlock (in this case, a person would know that they would be
able to add/remove groups, and modify properties... but it isn't clear
at all what these properties are).

So if I were to continue this idea further, the list box would always be
sensitive, and you would be able to get to the properties dialog for a
group without unlocking. Just, the properties would be insensitive until
unlocked (and there would be an unlock button here too).

If the "Manage Groups" button was insensitive until the tool is
unlocked, then it doesn't really communicate much, and I don't think
that it is obvious what it even means to "Manage Groups".

Andy