Re: [Usability] Usability study for GNOME on netbooks?

Hi All,

We did a small usability study on Ubuntu 8 last year for a Usability Testing student project.  The wireless connection process was the biggest problem identified.  The wireless network adapter on the IBM Thinkpad we were using for the test was apparently not supported very well because I think I had seen a better wireless connection interface while using a different laptop.  The details are here: http://fitekker.blogspot.com/2008/12/ubuntu-usability.html

I figured I'd send this along in case it helps you planning your study.  I would be glad to help in any way.  I'm graduating in a few weeks with an MS in Human Factors.  The Usability Testing class runs every Fall, and there may be a student group looking for a project.  I could link you up with them.

It would be a good to brainstorm a list of important tasks and prioritize them, so that if anyone is able to run a test, they can quickly go to work and test the important stuff.

One last thing.  I'm not sure how many participants will be interested in having their session video posted on the internet.  We didn't ask ours, but I'm fairly certain that most would have said no.  I also wonder if knowing that it was to be posted online would affect their behavior.  This is an interesting dilemma with open source usability projects.  It's obviously important for developers to see the actual video from the sessions, or at least highlights, but there are privacy issues.

Thanks,
Dan Fitek
MBA + MSHFID Candidate, May 2009
McCallum Graduate School of Business