Re: [Usability] New Sound Preferences and Volume Control

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 23:24 +1100, Andy Owen wrote:
> This is mostly related, but kind of not related. I think that instead of
> (or at least as well as) having a list of all applications with audio
> happening, so you can modify their volume, there should be a volume
> slider as part of the window decoration.

Hello,

One use-case i image of the list of all "sound emitting" applications:
To check that pidgin and ekiga are louder than rhythmbox to make sure I
hear the phone ring. That wouldn't be that easy with one short look as
it is with the list so IMHO this can not replace the list view.

(mostly related: IMHO a more important issue is that the volume control
through the list is not the same as for example Totem's volume control.
Having to check two places where one application is silenced sounds like
a bad idea to me.)

A unified sound management would be nice but *I* would not search sound
control in the title bar as it - from my point of view - reflects the
"window management" (meaning the visual appearance (size..) of the
window, something "meta" to the actual application). I would expect
controlling actual "content" of an application is done within the window
and right now i count sound to this "content". Also one simple aspect of
having the volume control icon in the title bar that makes it less
discoverable is that the icon smaller in most cases - as it is in the
mockup. Of course, once used to it, it is probably easier to find in an
app new to the user and so worse it.

> Bad mockup:
> http://www.ultra-premium.com/scratch/volume.png

Do you think it should be accessible through the right click menu of the
window list?

Mockup:
http://static.ludwigf.org/stuff/gnome-use/volume-bar.png

My thoughts about that:
If it would be accessible through the right click menu of the window
list it would controlling sound would get much easier and faster to
reach but is it so important to get space there?

Is sound that important? How many applications do you use that does any
kind of sound? Asking myself that question I realized: all of them I use
right now. (assuming it would work for epiphany and all content it can
embedded) But how often do you change the volume of a single
application? I'm not sure but it looks to be a non-regular task to me.

A side note: If it would be in the right-click menu should it be
disabled or hidden if the sound doesn't emit any sounds? As hiding
changes the length of the list I thought its a bad idea but later on
noticed the "Move to Workspace Right/Left" actually acts like this.
But... I never noticed until today.

Florian

PSS I found a posting about this on brainstorm.ubuntu.com
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/item/15988/