Re: [Usability] Category Management (i.e. Rhythmbox Music Player)

If you wanted to do that, wouldn't you just select "All (n) Artists" and "All (n) Albums" and simply scroll through the playlist?

Categories are a hierarchical grouping of items
Categories should be ordered naturally (usu. alphanumerically)
Each category contains a number of ordered items such that no item can belong to more than one category within the group of categories. The goal of categorization, as like any other classic hierarchical structure, is to decrease the time in which it takes a _human_ to scan all items independently.

As such, categories should be normalized to the greatest extent possible. This is a justification for ignoring certain particles like "the" preceding artist and album names.

Most people tend to ignore particles naturally.
One example is the puzzle to count the number of f's in a sentence containing the word "of" a number of times. The primacy effect is the only barrier to overcome when a person is learning to ignore preceding particles.

Having many categories of only one item defeats the purpose of categorization. For instance, if you had only one item each for File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Options, Tools, Help, etc, what good would it do?

The best thing about Rhythmbox's methods of categorization is that you can look at all items within any level of categorization between Albums and Artists. This is extremely useful. However, a lack of normalization isn't helpful, and the effect of, (Can I coin the term, "The Atom Bomb Effect of Aggregated Categorization?") having many categories of one or very few items, impedes on usefulness of categorization. Does everyone who's interested, at the very least, agree that this is problematic?

Jasir Alavi wrote:
What i was trying to say was that if we could sort a category by more than just the alphabetic order.

say Artists can be sorted by name alphabetically,
or by the number of albums (so that artists with more albums are on top)
or by the number of titles they have,
or may be even my ratings.

so say you sorting by number of tracks/songs and have 3 artists with 10 each,
then they would be shown alphabetically.

and yes may be we can have an option to show all The/A/An as

The Someband --> Someband, The
A Some-Song --> Some-Song, A
and so on.