Re: [Usability] few things

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 01:31 +0100, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 12:23 +0100, John Keller wrote:

> [1] GAR, just found out, that this is not true with the Simple and Thin
>     Ice GTK themes, even on a recent GNOME. The actual difference here
>     appears to be the (top) border of the context menu. A single pixel
>     *does* make a difference...
>

> > Not sure what causes this inconsistency (GTK+, theme, user error [e.g.
> > me!]). But I agree, my personal preference would be that no contextual
> > menu item is ever selected by default (emphasis on personal preference).
> >
> > In any case, doesn't seem to be Nautilus-specific. For usability list?
>
> Usability list, yeah, Cc'ed. And the theme designers headquarters. Maybe
> even GTK+, though I don't think so.

Menus are popped up with gtk_menu_popup() which takes a callback
function that lets the app position the menu wherever it wants. However,
the default one (that most apps use) puts the menu such that its where
the mouse pointer is (making sure the whole menu is visible if its near
a screen edge). However, doing this means the mouse pointer will be over
the first (or last) menu item and thus it will be selected when you
release.

Maybe gtk+ should be changed to move the menu a few pixels away from the
cursor.