Re: [Usability] HIG proposals are bad for PDA and small screen devices

Hi,

Calum Benson schrieb:
> On 9 Jan 2008, at 15:21, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
>
>> Hallo.
>>
>> HIG conforming application must use 12 pixel spacing and ignore screen
>> dimensions. It sounds broken by design.
>
> It's a known issue, but the main 'broken-ness' is in gtk[1], which
> uses pixel units for everything, rather than a device-independent
> scheme.  Thus we had little choice but to write guidelines that
> assumed everyone was running on an average sized-screen with an
> average-sized font, and choose spacing guidelines accordingly.

It would be helpful to have a gnome-hig.h which defines those spacing avlues or
even better move them to the gtk.rc and add style-properties. Then I could get
them when layouting my dialogs from gtk-dialog::border-spacing and
gtk-dialog::frame-spacing. When designing themes for small screen devices its
easy to adjust them. Likewise they could even by enlaged for accesibility themes.

Stefan