Re: [Usability] New Sound Preferences and Volume Control

2008/12/16 Jacob Beauregard <deadowlsurvivor gmail com>:
> It looks functional but confusing.
Ok, I didn't want it to use the look of the standard slider control
because it doesn't show which side is "high" and which one is "low".
Thinking of it, the slider control I've always preferred is the
"triangle", like the one in MPlayer and Media Player Classic:

http://www.softpedia.com/screenshots/MPlayer-Portable_1.png
http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/media_player_classic.png

> The pin doesn't fit the situational context

What does it  mean "doesn't fit the situational context"? If you mean
that the pin has never been used for sound before, well, that's true.
But I think it really fits the "focus" metaphor - you use the pin to
attach something, or to fix some property of the window (in this case,
the volume).

> The entire focus concept
> -only generalizes in the context of multitasking with multimedia, if that
> --(e.g. browsing youtube while playing music)

I think it also applies to system sounds and feedback, as shown in the
"presentation mode" scenario where all those are de-prioritized.

> --generally would not follow the mouse, but perhaps the introduction of audio streams
> -is lowering sound level better than pausing a stream?
> -should focus start/stop when streams from other applications output little to no sound?

Good questions. I suppose user expectations on them should be tested.