Re: [Usability] RFC: Revision of HIGs "Check Boxes" section

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 23:42 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> Hi Calum (and everyone)
>
> I have written a revision of the "Check Boxes" section of the HIGs.
> Patch attached.

[...]

> My patch is incomplete, because it is missing illustrations. It is also
> rather noisy, because I have taken the opportunity to rename "check box"
> to "checkbox" throughout.

The current GDP Style Guide recommendation is "check box".
Of course, since we're in the middle of revamping the Style
Guide, we can change that.  Apple uses "checkbox", while MS
uses "check box".  I prefer "checkbox" as well.  We just
need to make sure we're consistent.

[...]

>     A checkbox should always have a label, and (except in the rare
>     case of a grid of checkboxes) the label should always be to the
>     right of the checkbox itself.

This is true only in left-to-right locales.  I don't know
whether the HIG should be filled with RTL parentheticals.
I'm just pointing it out in case you think it's worth
mentioning.

[...]

>     A checkbox label should use sentence case, but should not end in
>     a period. (It may end in a colon, if it doubles as the label for
>     a dependent control whose label normally ends in a colon.) The
>     label should be no longer than about ten words, and should not
>     wrap to multiple lines at typical window sizes. If the label is
>     a complete clause, express it as a command (imperative) rather
>     than a description (indicative).

Kalle mentioned that "complete clause" might not be clear
to non-native English speakers (and, let's face it, some
natives as well).  I suspect "complete sentence" would be
nearly as accurate, and more understandable.

I'm trying to think of an exception, such as a subordinate
clause being used as a checkbox label.  Maybe:

  [ ] Play a sound when a message arrives
      [ ] Unless I'm playing a game
      [ ] Unless I'm watching a video

I'm pretty sure that's a translation nightmare though.

[...]

>     In help text or support materials, refer to a checkbox as a
>     “box” that someone may “check” or “clear”.

We need to come to an agreement on these terms for the
Style Guide.  Some data points:

Microsoft:

  "Use the identifier check box, not just box, to refer
  to this option. Box alone is ambig­uous, especially for
  worldwide readers."

  "You select and clear a check box...."

Apple:

  "Not box or ballot box."

  "You click a checkbox to select or deselect an option (you
  can use the complete phrase click to select or just select).
  You don’t check or uncheck a checkbox. If the item is already
  selected, instructing the user to click deselects the item."

I'm wary of using terminology that both Apple and Microsoft
explicitly recommend against.  Frankly, unless one needs to
refer to the little box widget thing explicitly, I'm inclined
to refer to both checkboxes and radio buttons as "options"
when instructing users to select or deselect them:

  Select the "Frobnicate my files" option.

Or even:

  Select "Frobnicate my files".

Both Apple and Microsoft recommend "select", as does the
current Style Guide.  (Note that Apple makes a distinction
between the checkbox-the-boxy-widget which you click, and
the option-the-concept which you select.)  Both Apple and
the current Style Guide use "deselect", while Microsoft
uses "clear".

Clearly, we need to have a good discussion on these terms.

--
Shaun