Re: [Usability] Notifying about expected things

Perhaps the bubble could be replaced with a changed icon in the system tray, such as the update-manager icon? I think it is easy to find, easy to understand, and not intrusive when there are updates.

I find bubbles to best be used when there is something the user needs to do in the immediate term. If the bubbles are there for information only, an option to simply change the icon rather than produce a bubble makes a lot of sense.

Kirk

I'm not one of these cases (though I do use wifi for my network
connection 99+% of the time) but if I were I would appreciate knowing
when I had a connection so that I could perform online tasks. Also in
the presence of multiple hotspots I would enjoy knowing I'm connected
to a network I trust. Therefore I would be negatively impacted by
having no notification bubble.