Re: [Usability] application names in the application menu

On 31 Mar 2008, at 23:21, Jacob Beauregard wrote:
The entire purpose of a branding (or in this case, brand naming)
something is its value for differentiation. Its usefulness has its roots
way before any of us were around.

It is still typically bad practice not to include the purpose of an
application in its description. Ex. who the hell would know what
mousepad was at first sights? Also, how would I differentiate it from
gedit if they're both named Text Editor?

This is why we don't show the brand name of core GNOME desktop apps on the menus-- so that if I have two text editors installed, I know which one is the blessed, GNOME standard one that presumably meets certain quality and integration criteria, and which one isn't.

In the same sense, GNOME System
Monitor would differentiate itself from KDE's system monitor.

A system monitor is a system monitor. Why should the user care whether they're running the 'GNOME' one or the 'KDE' one? We have a lot of users who don't even know they're using GNOME, let alone the difference between GNOME and KDE. (Hence the current HIG edict not to use "GNOME" in an application's menu item.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team