[Usability] Nautilus and meta info

I often wish that Nautilus gave me more information about a selected
file without me having to right click it and choose properties and
then click a tab.

For example, I make web sites, so I often work with images. I find
myself frequently:
 1. select an image
 2. right click it
 3. choose properties
 4. click the image tab

Or for symbolic links:
 1. selecting the file
 2. right click it
 3. choose properties
 4. curse because the "link target" field is truncated
 5. open gnome terminal
 6. cd folder/where/file/is
 7. ls -l filename
 8. wished I had remembered that you can *triple click* the "link
target" field, hit ctrl+c, open gedit and hit ctrl+v to see the full
path

I've seen other, non-linux computers that show this info on the left
side of the equiv of nautilus. For any file it shows the full name,
modified time/date, filesize and then also some file-type specific
information, for example image dimensions and exif data for images.

My goal is to get my tasks done as quickly as possible. Seems like
doing something similar to above would improve things.

I'm not sure what the process is for requesting new features like
this. I mention it here because the goal in my mind is to make the
desktop more usable. Sorry if that's a bit of a stretch of the purpose
of this list.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode