Re: [Usability] Desktop Clutter

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 14:34 +0530, ritz wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 20:57 -0400, Jacob Beauregard wrote:
> > Why does the desktop get so easily cluttered?
> >
> > 1. default download space (for firefox)
> > 2. fastest way to create an pre-named document (right-click menu)
> > 3. middle ground for moving files around
> >
> > Anyone else have any reasons for why their desktop might get cluttered
> > (if it is or ever has been)?
> >
> > Also, is this a good thing or a bad thing?
>
> To me this appears good. Using desktop as a "scratch pad".
> The reason to belive so : How often does one see his desktop, other than
> for 5secs after login !

I know different people work differently, but I actually
do see and use my desktop quite a bit.  Here's why:

1) I keep my "permanent" icons (Computer, Home, network
stuff, etc.) on the right.  So as windows start filling
up my screen from left to right, I can still see them.

2) I don't maximize anything, ever.  Nothing ever needs
to be as big as my screen, and I like being able to get
to other stuff.

3) I shade rather than minimize.  Shaded windows are much
easier to restore than minimized windows, so we shaders
tend to shade more frequently.  That is, minimize tends
to get used for "I'm not working on this at the moment",
whereas shade tends to get used for "I just want to peek
behind this for two seconds".

4) I use workspaces.  When I want to start working on
something new, I switch to a clean workspace.  This,
of course, has a completely visible desktop.  Often,
the icons on the desktop are the starting point for
whatever new task I'm doing.  (Sometimes the starting
point is the Applications menu or a launcher.  It just
depends on what I'm about to do.)

On the original topic:  Does my desktop get cluttered?
Sure, some.  I have a Downloads folder, which helps.
But I frequently put things on the desktop if I don't
have an obviously better place for them.  These are
often temporary files that I delete later.  Sometimes
I end up finding a permanent place for them.

I find it doesn't bother me much, because I keep the
permanent icons on the right.  Nautilus throws the
clutter on the left, so it doesn't get in my way when
I'm using the desktop as a starting point for things.

--
Shaun