Re: [Usability] Cascading Menus, Context Menus, and Moving Files

Wow, I've never even come across the collision dialog in KDE until now just
because I wanted to see what it was.

An older item named '/blah' already exists.
[icon] size XXX B
--------- created on XXXX-XX-XX XX:XX
--------- modified on XXXX-XX-XX XX:XX

The source file is '/folder/blah'
[icon] size XXX B
--------- created on XXXX-XX-XX XX:XX
--------- modified on XXXX-XX-XX XX:XX

[text input defaults to filename] [Suggest New Name]
[Rename] [Skip] [Auto Skip] [Overwrite] [Overwrite All] [Cancel]

Also has the utility of recognizing if your moving/pasting duplicates, but for
some reason will ask you for a new name because it would "overwrite."

These icons are just there, one cannot click them and open the file in
question. This is just KDE though, and that's quite useful, imho, though it
could be a bit better (in a sense that one would possibly be able to view the
files from the dialog via clicking the icon). "Suggest New Name" doesn't seem
like it would offer much utility unless it applied to all the files.

Whoever suggested that not being able to rename by default isn't such a bad
idea, here is my argument for you.

Under the assumption that the user usually wants to move all of their files
without collisions. It would be most efficient to do the work while moving
the files than doing guess work before and after.

One could compare it to the statements:

while (not everything moved without collisions) {
  for (int i=0; i < n; i++) try moving thing[i];
  for (int i=0; i < n; i++) fix problems;
}

vs.

while (not everything moved without collisions)
  for (int i=0; i < n; i++) {try moving thing[i]; fix problems;}

The fact is, doing nothing about a collision when it happens will inevitably
lead to redundant actions by the user (i.e. more work). I wouldn't be
suggesting a feature-obese and ugly dialog, just added functionality for
renaming in SOME sense, as well as the ability to view the files of interest.

Perhaps something like:

The file with the name '[name]' already exists. Please make the appropriate
changes to either filename.

[------------------] File in [moving file's current location]
[icon button] [input text defaults to filename] [Reset] [OK]
[------------------]
[icon button] File in [collided file's location]
[------------------] [input text defaults to filename] [Reset] [OK]

[Skip*] [Skip All*] [Replace] [Replace All*] [Auto Rename*] [Cancel]

*not needed for single collision

I don't know if that would be the best way to design it for multiple
collisions. It might be beneficial to some to have some sort of extremely
cheap access to the properties of the files to see things like date
created/modified rather than including them directly (though as a button, I
don't know how a context menu would even be expected).

I also think it's wise to use the OK buttons on the filename part, because
that will not lead to interference with the people who know they want to skip
or replace files (skipping/replacing requires more knowledge of what you're
doing, and OK is more reassuring).